The Odds of Dying in a Car Crash

Apr 18

Car accidents are a leading cause of death every year in the United States. According to traffic safety facts, 42,795 Americans lost their lives in crashes across the country in 2022 alone. Moreover, traffic injuries rank as the top cause of deaths for young people aged 5 to 29.

If you consider such figures, you might begin to question your chances of being involved in a fatal car accident. Blackburn Romey delves into these statistics so that you can make informed choices concerning your safety.

What Are the Odds of Dying in a Car Accident?

According to recent data, the odds of dying in a car crash are around 1 in 93. This makes car crashes one of the leading causes of death in the United States. Moreover, the probability of dying in a car accident is higher than that of dying from a fall, which stands at 1 in 98.

However, the odds of a motorcyclist dying in a crash are lower, at 1 in 747. Even less common are fatalities from dog attacks, with odds of 1 in 53,843. Bicyclists face a moderate risk, with odds of 1 in 3,546. These statistics highlight the need for drivers to take responsible driving habits seriously to reduce the likelihood of tragic accidents.

What Are the Odds of Being in a Car Accident in Your Lifetime?

The most recent information indicates that about 77% of drivers in the U.S. have experienced at least one accident during their driving years. On average, a driver must also file an insurance claim for a car accident roughly once every 18 years. This means they might get into a collision about three to four times throughout their life.

There are several factors that can influence these odds:

  • Age: Younger and less experienced drivers have higher accident rates compared to aged drivers. Usually, drivers over 70 mostly get involved in non-fatal and non-injury accidents.
  • Driving habits: Certain driving habits increase the risk of accidents. These include speeding, distracted driving, driving under the influence, tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic.
  • Location: Busy urban areas with heavy traffic congestion may see increased cases of accidents due to increased interactions between vehicles and pedestrians. On the other hand, rural areas tend to register fewer accidents.
  • Environmental factors: Rain, snow, ice, or fog can reduce visibility and traction, increasing the likelihood of accidents.

What Is the Survival Rate for Head-On Collisions?

In head-on collisions, the survival rate depends largely on the speed at which the vehicles are traveling. At slower speeds, the survival rate is relatively high, with around 99% of individuals surviving such accidents with only minor injuries.

However, at 50 mph, the survival rate drops to about 31%. This means roughly one-third of individuals involved in head-on collisions at this speed will not survive.

When it comes to speeds of 70 mph or higher, the survival rate is extremely low and fatalities are almost guaranteed.

What Are the Odds of Getting Hit by a Car While Walking?

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the odds of getting hit by a car while walking are approximately 1 in 4,292. Around 80% of such accidents happen in urban areas, while the remaining 20% occur in rural settings.

Engage a Car Accident Attorney Today

To reduce your odds of dying in a car crash, it is important to understand and mitigate the risk factors. Unfortunately, you cannot possibly prevent all accidents. If you need help after a car accident, be sure to get the legal assistance you need to pursue fair compensation for your injuries.

Our trusted car accident attorneys at Blackburn Romey are ready to fight for your rights. Contact us today to schedule your free, confidential case evaluation.

Tom Blackburn

Blackburn Romey founding partner Tom Blackburn graduated with honors receiving a degree from Indiana University at the Robert H. McKinney School of Law. Initiating his legal career in 1977, he has been active in practicing law and currently serves as a member of the Indiana State Bar Association on the Ethics and Advertising Committees, the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, as a board member at the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, and as an appointed member of the Executive Committee for the State of Indiana for the National Trial Lawyers Association.

Personal Injury & Wrongful Death is all we do

Get In Touch With Us